Navi bar



Home
about
Books Blog Contact

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Men Can Be Big Boys!

Dear Tide Stain Release,

Thank you for being one of the first commercials (I've noticed) to feature a man washing his own damn laundry. I realize the man was in a laundry mat, rather than a home - as if to say, "he must be a bachelor who lives in an apartment alone, because if lived in a house with hook ups and a woman... Well, we know who would be doing it then." BUT, it's at least a step in the right direction.

Thank you for reminding us, mindless viewing public, that males don't need someone who owns a uterus to help their clothes smell nice and fresh.

Who knows what's next? Maybe we can now expect a Pennzoil commercial featuring a woman or a Scotch Brite ad that actually shows a man holding a sponge.

And maybe, just maybe I'll give up shaving my legs with men's shaving cream and razors because the pretty pick ones won't be more expensive.

Sincerely,
A woman SICK of stereotypes, whose husband cooks and does his own laundry (and she's agreed to do the dishes because she HATES cooking).

6 comments:

Lynne Marshall said...

Good blog! Taught my son how to do his own laundry at twelve. Unfortunately, he also discovered he could use the dryer instead of an iron! Never looked quite as good as ironing, but...

My husband also weilds a mighty good sponge!

Christine Ashworth said...

Excellent blog, Christine! I agree - the way the sexes are portrayed in commercials is embarrassing. Here's hoping someone in advertising sees this...

Unknown said...

Amen!

Robin said...

Loved this! I taught my son to do his own laundry too when he was fourteen. It's just about time to teach my second son. (Yay!) My hubby's not big on the laundry, but he's killer in other areas of the house. ;)

Stephanie Anfinson said...

I agree! I get so annoyed at commercials portraying women as nagging beeotches and men as idiotic lazy losers.

Like that yogurt commercial where the woman is talking on her phone about the different flavors of yogurt. The husband is digging through the fridge like a dumdum and then she condescendingly asks him, "What are you doing?" as if he has no right to look though the refrigerator. I hate that one.

robena grant said...

I love this post. I tried to comment a couple of days ago but got kicked off. Hope this one goes through.

I love a man who isn't above doing the laundry. I remember when my ex used to love to grocery shop and I'd get all snippy about the expensive things he'd buy. My M-I-L wisely said, "Let it go." So I did. Then the kids came along and was I ever thankful for a husband who liked to shop!
Robena G.

Post a Comment